Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies.....yummmm

Well I had my grand kids at my house today and so we made Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Oh my goodness I had bought sometime late in December some Tom Thumb chocolate chips they are the Safeway brand because they were on sale for like 0.88 cents a bag and bought 4 of them thinking I would use them for Christmas and I didn't.

However I dragged those puppies out and decided to make a double batch.  That makes 10 dozen cookies.  I have some in my big cookie jar, some in the freezer and the last batch is cooling off now....opps I put a dozen in a tupperware container to take to work on Monday.  I have cookies coming out my ears.  This recipe is really quite good.  I am one of those people to doesn't really like hard or really soft cookies but these are just right.




Here is the recipe from the back on the package:

1/2 lb Butter  (2 sticks)  softened
1  cup Packed Brown sugar
1/2 cup Granulated sugar (white)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
12 oz bag Safeway Chocolate chips from Tom Thumb
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, mix butter until creamy.  Mix in brown and white sugars, salt and vanilla until fluffy.  Mix in eggs and baking soda.  Add flour.  Mix on low until incorporated.  Mix in chocolate chips and nuts (optional).   Drop onto greased or sprayed baking sheets by rounded tablespoon about 1 1/2 inches apart.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes until tops are set when lightly pressed with fingertips and color is golden.  Let stand 2 minutes and remove to racks.  You can store air tight for several days or freeze them. Makes 5 dozen cookies depending on how much dough you drop for each cookie.

I estimated the cost of making a double batch of these to be about 0.06 cents a cookie. Try comparing that to store bought cookies and I think you will agree that making homemade cookies is cheaper.
And if you look at it this way I would call them free....lol since I already had the ingredients on hand!  I did not try to figure the cost of the electric stove use but I still feel homemade is better simply because I know what went into the cookies.  No additives except for what was in the Chocolate chips themselves and fresh ingredients!  Simply yummy.

Hope you try these out sometime this is now my favorite Chocolate Chip cookie recipe!

If your a Nestles Toll House cookie fan then go here for a .50 cent off coupon for their Chocolate chips and if your store doubles then that's even better. 
Here is the Nestles Toll House Chocolate Chip link for coupon.

No comments: